Why all communications people should understand content design
I thought I knew a lot about creating content. Until I went on Sarah Richard’s Content Design course.
I’ve had many job titles: journalist, editor, copy editor, copywriter, communications manager. But never content designer. I was intrigued.
I was the only person without this job title on the two-day course. But it didn’t matter.
The main things I learnt
- How to really (I mean really) understand the journey your audience (or user) makes before they get to your content.
- How to convince stakeholders not to pick holes in your content for no good reason – by using/sharing data and collaborative ways of working.
- The science behind how we read digital content.
- How to give constructive feedback.
How I’ve used what I learnt
I applied so much of what I learnt as soon as I got back to my day job as a communications manager. So far we’ve:
- changed the way we create content for our blog based on content design principles
- run a course for all communications people in our business covering the science of reading on the web, creating content for digital channels, and giving constructive feedback
- been able to convince stakeholders more easily that we are in fact the experts – by using data and taking them on the journey with us
I’d encourage anyone with a job title that has the words ‘communications’ or ‘content’ in it to see what content design is all about.
We all face the same challenges. The main one being that every other person thinks they know how to do our job better than we do.
This course will help you convince them that’s just not true.
Colleague Communications Manager, Co-op
You can sign up to our email newsletter to get regular updates from Content Design London.
2 day Foundation content design course 31 May and 01 June 2022 (online)
2 day Foundation content design course 07 and 08 June 2022 (online. AEDT timings)
2 day Foundation content design course 15 and 16 June 2022 (online. CDT timings)
2 day Foundation content design course 29 and 30 June 2022 (online)
2 day Advanced content design course. 29 and 30 June 2022 (online)
2 day Foundation content design course 26 and 27 July 2022 (online)
2 day Foundation content design course 24 and 25 August 2022 (in person)
2 day Foundation content design course 31 August and 01 September 2022 (online)
2 day Foundation content design course 06 and 07 September 2022 (online. AEDT timings)
Content Design 12-week Academy 06 September - 29 November 2022 (online)